My primary therapy is based in my training in Somatic Experiencing.
Somatic Experiencing™, developed by Dr. Peter Levine, is a body-based method of working with trauma and accumulated stress. It helps restore our body’s own natural ability to self regulate our nervous system and gives us more capacity to enjoy life fully in the present. SE restore the nervous system’s natural rhythm while guarding it from becoming overwhelmed. SE™ not only reduces symptoms, it helps repair physiological injuries associated with trauma and accumulated stress. SE is effective in treating development trauma and acute single incident trauma (car accidents, falls, medical trauma etc). For further information on Somatic Experiencing see this page.
In addition to SE I also incorporate other modalities including:
- Solution Oriented – present and future focus solution creation for problems.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy – focus on core beliefs affecting well-being.
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy – help people increase their emotional and cognitive regulation by learning about the triggers that lead to reactive states and helping to assess which coping skills to apply in the sequence of events, thoughts, feelings, and behaviors to help avoid undesired reactions.
- Client-centered – respect for each person on their current level of readiness for change.
- Existential – focus on difficulty with major life decisions, grief/loss, loss of meaning.